Volunteers are the backbone of Thundering Paws. We depend on our volunteers in so many ways! Every shift you cover not only saves funds, but it gives the cats new people to meet. We count on your help to enrich their lives, play with, and cuddle them.
- Children ages 7 and up may volunteer with a parent or guardian present.
- Teens ages 14 and up may volunteer without a parent or guardian, but we require written consent.
- Groups of adult volunteers are welcome; however, we are unable to host groups of children or teens under the age of 18.
On-Site Volunteer Duties
Thundering Paws schedules morning and afternoon volunteer shifts every day; we also host volunteers on Sunday afternoons for more extensive projects. Daily volunteer duties typically include:
- Scooping litter boxes
- Changing and filling water and food dishes
- Cleaning cages (most cats roam freely, but a few are confined for medical or socialization reasons)
- Sweeping and mopping
- Walking canine staff members
- Petting and socializing the cats, dogs, and bunnies
- Scrubbing litter boxes, scoops, and carriers
We ask that if you commit to a shift and are unable to make it, please let us know with as much notice as possible so that we can fill the shift. Some volunteers seem to think they are expendable. Believe us, you are not!
Off-Site Volunteer Duties
Live too far away? Allergic to cats? Don’t want to clean? We have many other volunteer opportunities!
- Assist at adoption events in Austin
- Foster animals
- Work on our newsletter
- Promote Thundering Paws on social media
- Other things YOU think of that can help!
We try to let our volunteers know how valuable they are, but if we forget to thank you even one time, please know how very much we appreciate you! We could not run this sanctuary without our amazing cadre of volunteers.
Submit a Volunteer Application
If you are interested in joining the Thundering Paws Volunteer Team, please complete a volunteer application and release of responsibility form. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.