COVID Update: Please note, at this time we are not accepting new volunteers. We ask for your patience while we work through this unprecedented time. Though, there are many other ways you can make a difference for Thundering Paws such as coordinating a Create a Fundraiser on Facebook or show your support by purchasing wearables from the Thundering Paws shop. For other ideas, be sure to check out our Other Ways to Give section on our website.
We are accepting new foster parents! If you would like to foster a cat please read about the requirements here.
Volunteers are the backbone of Thundering Paws. We depend on our volunteers in so many ways! Every shift you cover not only saves funds, but it gives the cats new people to meet. We count on your help to enrich their lives, play with, and cuddle them.
Volunteers are our greatest assets and contribute in so many ways. We encourage our volunteers to participate in the area of their talent and interest, from spreading the word about Thundering Paws to, well, logo idea.
Did you know our logo was created by one of our volunteers? The concept for our new logo was envisioned by one of our youngest volunteers, Maisey Duncan who was 12 at the time. The artwork was actualized by another one of our volunteers, Christina Ramirez.
We can’t thank them enough for playing such a big part at Thundering Paws!
- Children ages 7 and up may volunteer with a parent or guardian present.
- Teens ages 14 and up may volunteer without a parent or guardian, but we require written consent.
- Groups of adult volunteers are welcome; however, we are unable to host groups of children or teens under the age of 18.
On-Site Volunteer Duties
Thundering Paws schedules morning and afternoon volunteer shifts every day; we also host volunteers on Sunday afternoons for more extensive projects. Daily volunteer duties typically include:
- Scooping litter boxes
- Changing and filling water and food dishes
- Cleaning cages (most cats roam freely, but a few are confined for medical or socialization reasons)
- Sweeping and mopping
- Walking canine staff members
- Petting and socializing the cats, dogs, and bunnies
- Scrubbing litter boxes, scoops, and carriers
We ask that if you commit to a shift and are unable to make it, please let us know with as much notice as possible so that we can fill the shift. Some volunteers seem to think they are expendable. Believe us, you are not!
Off-Site Volunteer Duties
Live too far away? Allergic to cats? Don’t want to clean? We have many other volunteer opportunities!
- Assist at adoption events in Austin
- Foster animals
- Work on our newsletter
- Promote Thundering Paws on social media
- Other things YOU think of that can help!
We try to let our volunteers know how valuable they are, but if we forget to thank you even one time, please know how very much we appreciate you! We could not run this sanctuary without our amazing cadre of volunteers.
Submit a Volunteer Application
If you are interested in joining the Thundering Paws Volunteer Team, please complete a volunteer application and release of responsibility form. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.